SEATTLE— There are too many votes that have not been counted for this race to be called. Hundreds of thousands of votes have yet to be counted. Additionally, Washington Secretary of State is currently reporting that over 300,000 votes still have to be counted. KOMO News 4 in Seattle even noted that there were more votes to be counted and results are not yet final.
“This race is not over yet,” said Delana Jones, Campaign Manager for Yes on 522. “Due to Washington State’s vote-by-mail system, there are hundreds of thousands of votes still to be counted. Please stay tuned. More results will be available after 6pm Pacific.”
Quick Facts on 522:
- Washington will be the first state to implement labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods.
- More than 353,000 Washingtonians signed to get this placed as an Initiative to the Legislature.
- Yes on 522 has raised $7.8 million to date from over 15,000 donors. The majority of Yes on 522’s donors are from the state of Washington.
- I-522′s implementation date is July 1, 2015, which gives food & seed manufacturers 18 months to start labeling.
- 64 other countries already label genetically engineered foods. The U.S. is one of the few industrialized countries that does not label GE foods.
- Just like Alaska’s law to label GE seafood (it passed in 2005), I-522 would label GE salmon, which is highly likely to receive FDA approval later this year.